Tuesday, August 10th
Board of Education Meeting @ Sycamore Middle School | 7:00 PM
Wednesday, August 11th
Back to School Bash 5:30-9:30 PM
Friday, August 13th
Class lists will be posted in parent portal
Tuesday, August 17th
Supply drop off night 5:45 PM-6:45 PM
Wednesday, August 18th
- First Day of School for 1st - 5th Grade
- 1st Day Celebration
- Kindergarten Conferences
Thursday, August 19th
Kindergarten A Day
Friday, August 20th
Kindergarten B Day
School Calendar for the 2021-2022 School Year
Welcome our New Staff Members to West
- Kari Countryman - Math Interventionist
- Noe Escamilla - ELL Teacher
- Jennifer Freiberg - Building Nurse
What we Know for Next Year
- School will be in person five days a week.
- We will have full days.
- Start Time: 8:45 AM
- Students can be dropped off starting at 8:30 AM
- Late Start Thursday
- Start Time: 9:30 AM
- Students can be dropped off starting at 9:15 AM
- Daily Dismissal: 3:30 PM
- Start Time: 8:45 AM
- The District is adding a late start of 45 minutes on Thursdays District-wide.
- This has been a practice at the high school for years. It will be a great addition for the rest of our District as we will be able to have our grade level team meetings without the use of subs and provide a consistent opportunity for teaming for all staff members. This aspect of collaboration has led to some very positive changes for our district over the past 7 years.
- OSCAR will return for families for both AM and PM support.
- Click here for more information or to register for OSCAR
- School Calendar for the 2021-2022 School Year- Click Here
- Specials will be taught in person to all students.
- Technology/Problem Solving
- Math Interventionists and Intervention Block
- Each elementary school will be hiring a Math Interventionist and we will be implementing an Intervention Block each day. This will further support student learning at all levels.
- Masking and Social Distancing
- All students and staff will be masked while indoors at school.
- No masks will be required while outside at recess or other outdoor activities.
- We will maintain social distancing of three feet to the greatest extent possible.
- During lunch students will be spaced three feet apart.
- All students will receive a lanyard to attach their mask to during the school day.
RESCHEDULED for Monday, August 16, 2021 | 5:30 - 9:00 PM
What do Toy Story, food vendors, and a touch-a-truck event all have in common? They'll all be at our Back2School Bash! Join us for an evening of fun to kick off the school year. To learn more, visit the Back2School Bash webpage.
The District, in partnership with SEF and the city, will be hosting the inaugural Back2School Bash downtown Sycamore in parking lots 1 and 2 and Elm Street between Somonauk and S. California.
This free event will feature vendors with activities and giveaways, food vendors, and touch-a-truck vehicles featuring the City’s fire, police, and public works departments.
Starting at 8:00 PM, the movie, Toy Story, will be shown up on the big screen in Parking Lot #1 for all to enjoy.
- Filthy Hog
- Cream King
- Sycamore Education Foundation
- Spartan Food Pantry
- Northern Illinois University
- Kishwaukee College
- City of Sycamore
- SHS FFA
- SHS Art Club
- Orthodontics Experts
- Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union
- School Tool Box
- Lil Kimmie Dettman
- NIU - Jerry L. Johns Literacy Clinic
- Sycamore Park District
- Sycamore Public Library
- Northwestern Medicine
- Ben Gordon Center
- Believers Center for Performing Arts in Motion Inc
- Egyptian Theatre
- The Music Connection, LLC
Thank You to Our Sponsors!
- The Suter Company
- First Midwest Bank
- Law Office of Riley N. Oncken P.C.
- Ideal Industries
- CMJ IT Solutions
In Kind Sponsors
Ready for more Back to School information?
Visit our Back to School webpage! Staff throughout the District have contributed resources, advice, and events to help you prepare for the year to come. You can even access previous emails on this webpage. Visit Webpage
SCHOOL TOOLBOX SUPPLIES
School Toolbox is a one stop shop for all of your school supplies. Please use the link below if you are interested in shopping using School Toolbox.
In Sycamore we provide a transition week for all kindergarteners. Our first day is a conference day with parents and students. You should have received a letter last week with a date and time for your conference on the 1st day. If you did not receive this please contact our office at 815-899-8199. Our second and third day are transition days of school for our kindergarteners with just half of the class. These are full days for the students, but only half the class each day.
All incoming kindergarten students will receive a transition letter at the beginning of August with their transition day A/B assignment along with their conference time for the first day of school.
- Wednesday, August 18 – Kindergarten Conferences
- Thursday, August 19 – Group A Student Only (Full day of school and buses are available)
- Friday, August 20 – Group B Students Only (Full day of school and buses are available)
- Monday, August 23 — All Kindergarten Students Attend
Supply Drop off Night
We look forward to seeing everyone at our supply drop off night! At this event you can meet your child’s classroom teacher and bring in your school supplies. We are so excited to have our families back in our building for this event. Please remember that everyone over the age of two must wear a mask.
Student Arrival and Dismissal Schedule
The U shape parking in front of our school is for buses only. When dropping off or picking up please park in the front designated parking areas.
First Day of School (Grades 1-5)
On the first day of school, we will meet all students outside of the school. Kindergarten-1st GradeTeachers will be on the Southside in the front by the playground. 2nd-3rd Grade Teachers will meet their students in the front of the school. 4th-5th Grade teachers will meet their students on the North Side front of the school by the playground. The teachers will meet the students starting at 8:30 AM and we will walk them into the building around 8:45 AM. Our teachers will be holding up signs with their names on them so the students can find their class.
Kindergarten: Supply List
1st Grade: Supply List
2nd: Supply List
3rd Grade: Supply List
4th Grade: Supply List
5th Grade: Supply List
Federal aid is now available specifically to help families pay for high-speed internet service, plus a computer or tablet. It’s called the Emergency Broadband Benefit, and it provides discounts of up to $50 a month for high-speed internet along with a one time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating provider.
Households qualify if anyone in the household is eligible for the free and reduced-price school lunch or breakfast programs; participates in SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline; received a Federal Pell Grant this year; or lost significant income due to furlough or job loss since Feb. 29, 2020. Please see the link below for more details about this support program.
Looking forward to seeing all of our students for the 21-22 school year!