Dear Sycamore Community School District 427 families,
As a result of our previous experience with remote learning throughout the pandemic and to provide continuity of education, Sycamore Community School District 427 will prioritize Remote Learning Days over Emergency Days, should the need ever arise. In case of inclement weather, for example, students and staff will learn and teach remotely rather than miss a day of school.
THIS IS NOT A NOTIFICATION OF A REMOTE LEARNING DAY. IN THE EVENT OF A REMOTE LEARNING DAY DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER, YOU WILL RECEIVE A SEPARATE COMMUNICATION.
On a Remote Learning Day, students and families can expect the following:
- Families will be notified of the Remote Learning Day via the District’s website, mobile app, social media, and Mass Notification System
- All assignments, activities, and instructions will be provided asynchronously and shared with students no later than 9:00 AM through Google Classroom for elementary and middle school students and Canvas for high school students
- Teachers may hold synchronous lessons at their discretion, although teachers are not required to hold them and students will not be required to attend
- Teachers and support staff will be available throughout the day to respond to emails
- Teachers may offer office hours, but this is not required
- Support staff, including student services staff, paraeducators, social workers, psychologists, and counselors, will check in with their students as necessary. Students and families may also reach out to these staff members.
- Attendance for elementary school students will be taken via a Google Form posted through their Google Classroom. Attendance for middle school and high school students will be taken via their Campus Student Portal account — these students should check in to Infinite Campus as they have during other Remote Learning Days.
- If a student does not have reliable access to power or the internet, a Remote Learning Day will be treated as an absence, and the student will be allowed at least an additional day to complete any assignment(s). Additional time may be allotted at the discretion of the teacher.
Prioritizing a Remote Learning Day over an Emergency Day is a unique opportunity we are afforded because of our previous experience with remote learning and the instructional technology we have developed. We feel confident that by taking this opportunity, we will be able to provide students with continuity in their education.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
-Sycamore Community School District 427